Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Vang Vieng! how i miss thee!

I didn’t think I’ll see Vang Vieng again. Not on this trip at least. It’s 345am and we just dropped a couple of people off. I’ve been on the bus for the past 7hours, heading back to Vientiane to catch our flight back to KL. We’ve got approximately 4hours to get there to check-in in time before we get stuck in Laos till the following Tuesday, which is the next flight that flies back to KL. I seriously don’t mind that, really. Haha.

I guess it was an accumulation of events that had happened here, the place where I was completely at ease, without a single care in the world. However brief the time we had here, that’s what made it special. That’s what made it memorable. Its always the moments in life that counts right? Regardless how short it was. Too bad it didn’t last as long as I had intended. Compromises you have to make when you’re not alone. I’m not complaining, really. And I know full well if I do ever get back here, it really wouldn’t be the same. But that’s another story for another time.

My neck hurts, and my backbone’s screaming. I really shouldn’t have had that huge cup of lao ice coffee for dinner. It’s making my neurons party the hell out of me up in my head. Even when I sleep, my brains working hard and I can feel it. Events that had taken place here in laos keep playing over and over in my head. Gah! Settle down people! Quit it now!

I have no clue how we’re gonna spend the day in KL wandering around with our giant ospreys, but we will, one way or another. Luang Prabang turned out ok I guess. It really is quite the retirement town like I had explained it to be. We hiked up Phosi Mountain, hardly a mountain really, even Mt. Faber held more reason to be called a mountain. And we caught the amazing sunset. And I bumped into Bryan Ng! haha, hilarious. That shaggy boy looked damn happy! I haven’t seen him in ages. It was really great. And nice seeing a huge bunch of Singaporeans tho they stared at me oddly, I flashed a huge grin and ran off.

We bumped into the south Africans AGAIN! I told them they were stalking us. And toby too while climbing up! Haha, it really is a teeny tiny town here. Every town we’ve been to in Laos so far is! You’ll keep bumping into people you’ve met. That’s what makes it cool! You cant do crime here, people will know somehow and have you pinned down to the ground in a matter of seconds. Hehehe. Speaking of which, I bumped into Mik again! Hardly surprising, but it was really good seeing him again. He took a fall on the way here from Vang Vieng. Poor chap, I really do hope he’s doing ok. He is, afterall, half a century old. A fit one that is. But still, half a century old. He shouldn’t be hopping around from country to country in that state.

I wouldn’t have seen him if I hadn’t insisted on having the same veg omelette thing I had yesterday. Thank God I did. Now I know I don’t have to email him to hear from him next.

A huge fiasco happened just when we got to the bus station earlier on. After we’ve got settled into the bus, 15mins before taking off, I realized we left the canon charger back at the guest house!! Like oh my mama shithead! I looked at grace and screamedddd!! I said, babe! You’re getting me one for Christmas! And she nudged me off the bus and told me to tuktuk back as quickly as possible. I ran down the bus frantically waving my hands in the air like a mad bloke and begged the bus driver to wait. He, being the kindest lao person ever, rallied the entire tuktuk team and told them the situation, and they flew me back to the guesthouse and back. Haha, it was crazy. But they were nice enough to do so even though I had the entire bus delayed. Amazing people they are, here in laos. See! It’s the little things like that that really do make me wanna come back. You wouldn’t get this in Thailand, much less Singapore. Ooh. I’m so laoing it.

The scenery on the way back to Vientiane is absolutely amazing. We saw the same mountains, behind the deep dark blue over the moonlit waters, and the stars are out full force tonight. Its pitch black out there, not a single soul in sight. And the only sign of civilization comes from the headlights of the bus. There are no toilets, no shops, absolutely zero. Nothing. Pee breaks are taken out in the wild. And the guys find it perfectly normal to piss just outside our window. We girls had to run straight back, way beyond the back of the bus, choosing the rightly suited bush to flash our asses at. Haha. Funny. Doing it out in the open has its own thrill somehow. doing it out in the open at 12degrees takes it all up to a different level.

I ran into Sirliang’s hotel earlier on and quickly dropped him a note and my namecard. Hope his hotel staff gets it to him. He’s been a great host in Luang Prabang and we don’t even know him. I told him we’ll party once he gets back, once he makes it through the busy season. Poor chap has to work 24/7 through this high peak season.

i’m so not wanting to leave this place. What a pity I guess. :( I’d wish for more trips like these. More great company, more stories to tell on my next gallivant. It’s been a fantastic trip. The greatest planned trip is when you don’t plan at all! I cant wait to get back here again. This time, I wouldn’t think twice if I had to do it alone :)

No comments: