Thursday, December 11, 2008

two manderleens for flendsheeep..

So we’re travelling to Vang Vieng, scooting around in this extremely bumpy ride, a bus, a typical old school bus, the sort that you’d find when you were back in school. The air conditioning barely works and I have to lean towards the big bottle of water just to cool off. I was telling Grace, babe, you brought the Sun and heat from Singapore. Its such a hot day today. Compared to the 22degrees I’ve been enjoying the past 2 days, today’s a killer. The nights are even colder. I wouldn’t be surprised if it dipped down to 10degrees. Its chilly and you cant walk around without a sweater. And even if you do, you cant ride a tuktuk without shivering in the awful cold. But I like it somehow. Singapore should have weather like that. People will hang out more in the open. Nice.

Noi told me it hits 42 degrees in the summer. Insane. I will literally melt away if I had to endure that. No way man. Yesterday, Mik and I went up into this tiny temple situated in a little forest. Pretty. Very very peaceful. And since he’s Jew and I’m Christian, we don’t go gaga over temples. Its just.. oh yeah, heres another one. That’s it. I mean, nice architecture, cool dudes in orange robes. That’s it. What else. So we got in and he surprised me with this herbal sauna bath thing there! It was so so cool! It’s a tiny little atap house thing. And they boil barrels of water and herbs below this room. So you change out and into this sarong thing and hop right in. I can so imagine bunking out here when we get back to Vientiane for 7s next year in jan. it’ll be food, match, sauna, beer for all 4 days I reckon. I can so feel it already. Haha.

Noi’s the owner of the place. A very very hospitable host. She made sure we had our fill of fruit shakes. And that we could stay as long as we wanted. There was even massage available but Mik said there were better ones elsewhere. It was gooooood. You heat up in the room. And step out into the cool deck and allow your body to readjust to the temperature outside. Rejuvenating. Invigorating. I could do it over and over and over again. I stole mandarin oranges from her and when I waned to pay for it, she said..nahhh… 2 manderleens for flendsheeep. Hahaha. Hilarious..

We headed out for dinner at this traditional lao restaurant. I didn’t fancy the food one bit. With that kind of money I paid, id rather sit out at some road side hawker instead. The only bit that enticed us was the traditional lao dance they had there. Even that was disappointing. So we got out as soon as we could and strolled back to our street. I really wanted to get online and just be in touch with the world for a bit. But Mik was there. I felt bad when I msn-ed with him having his beerlao alone whilst waiting for me to get done with ‘work’. But it worked out somehow. I got my fair share of both. So we sat out and talked till the wee hours in the morning.

I really do enjoy talking to him. His wealth of wisdom is astounding. It makes me want to read and find out more. Every book that he recommends, every great philosopher he mentions, google pops right in my head and I could virtually see myself searching for it. Haha, goodle addict I am. We spoke about divorces, about the sacred union of marriages, about evolution and how the bible is solely just a metaphor. He talking about growing up as a Jew, about how our lives are molded not just by our upbringing and character but by the religion we choose. We talked about dreams and the different theories about it. The creation of men and how God is present to just be a reason of hope for the people today. Many things I disagreed with him strongly. Out stands were laid out and we discussed about the importance of curiousity and the importance of wanting more. It was good. Deep. The way I liked it.

He really hopes I’ll make it to nagrkot someday in Nepal. His description paints the picture ever so clearly. Someday I will. Once I get my diving cravings out of the way for a bit. Then I might, I just might be able to save up enough somehow. :)

No comments: